Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Beginning

It seems ironic to be writing a blog about disconnecting from modern amenities. In our world today, computers and the internet have become vital tools for success whether it be in business, activism, or personal communication. Often we take our modern conveniences for granted. The goal of this project is by no means to say technology and innovation is a bad thing. However, do we take these gifts for granted?


Over the course of the next 2 days, I will be "unplugging" myself from the modern fast paced world. Living on only the essentials I hope to gain a better personal understanding of what it is that I REALLY need and what is excess. Through better understanding of the excess in my life I hope to create a more balanced way of being for myself, keeping the things that really matter in mind.

The Project
For this project, I will be spending 48 hours living on only the essentials. My shelter will be pieces of cardboard shambled together to form a makeshift lean-to. Beyond that my supplies will include:

  • A water resistant tarp
  • An Army Blanket
  • Minimal Food Rations
  • Water
  • A journal
  • A copy of the book "Walden" by Henry David Thoreau
  • The cloths I'm wearing
Throughout the 48 hours I will be keeping a journal of my experiences and feelings. After the project is over, I will transfer the journal onto this blog to share the experience with you!

2 comments:

  1. Two days to discover what you need? Thoreau spent two years in his cabin. Good luck and try not to suffer too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be safe and have fun. I'll be waiting to see what happens.

    - Sam

    ReplyDelete